View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Ada,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have two major illnesses to deal with.

I'm very sensitive to cold too and if I ignore things I can get into big time trouble with my leg. Over time I've learned that I need to keep the core internal temperature of my leg up otherwise I can spiral down into a major flare very quickly. To do so I use a number of different things such as hot baths , hot water bottles, and hot wax. I don't know how the complications of MS affect your ability to tolerate heat but I hope you are able to get your legs warmed up as that should help reduce the pain somewhat.

The best advice I received right from the very beginning was from my PM Dr. who diagnosed me, he told me to keep it warm and keep it moving. It's not always easy to do but I try to do some type of exercise every day, even if it's just minor gentle range of motion exercises. It does help to keep me on my feet. Also I found that arnica gel has helped my rsd pain when I've been overactive and on my feet too long. It seems to help calm down the skin sensitivity and swelling (don't use it on an open wound). I haven't found anything yet to help me with the deep bone pain.

As time has gone on I have become much more sensitive to pain signals regardless of whether they are caused from my RSD or something as common as menstrual pain. The signals seem to get all get mixed up and sometimes it feels like RSD is taking over my body even though I know it is not so. I can't imagine what it must be like for you to deal with MS on top of RSD.

I've been following some research by Clifford Woolf, MD PhD, director of the Neural Plasticity Research Group and Professor of Anesthesia Research at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. He's helped develop a concept called "central sensitization" that explains the way the nervous system changes in response to chronic pain, becoming more sensitive, rather than desensitized. It is important work he is doing and hopefully he will be able to find the key to help turn off the pain signals.

I'm not planning to have the flu shot, I stopped having them a few years ago because of my sensitivities and allergies to drugs. I carry a hand sanitizer in my purse and try to wash may hands as often as possible when I'm out in public.

I hope you are able to find some relief, stay warm and feel better again soon.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote