View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pajama party

I too am a pajama person: Flannel, jersey, super soft modal cottons, warm fuzzy booties & slippers, fleece sweats & lots of soft chenille, cashmere socks. In the hot summer months I am usually still covered because I too cannot stand the air conditioning, fans or winds blowing on my skin. I have found that buying clothes from places like "Athleta", a yoga, active lifestyle catalog is very helpful because they sell the soft yet pliable materials that is bearable on our skin yet are breathable in warm months & moisture-wicking & warm in cool months.
I was also a very active athlete & personal trainer, model & actress before I got hurt. I have a major shoe fetish, most of which I cannot wear now because of swelling and pain. I now but shoes in wide width or a size bigger, too. I do wear my heels whenever I can, but only when I know I will not be walking too far or standing too long, like going to dinner or short errands. I usually pay for it later, but it makes me feel somewhat like my old self again & for a short time it gives me a big boost in spirit to look like a shadow of my former self again. I have gained almost 30 pounds since I was injured over 4 years ago & struggle to find comfortable fashions now. I yearn to buy them (denial & hope that I will wake up someday with no pain & be able to go back to being who I am at heart) but now with no income from not being able to work, still fighting SSI for an appeal, etc. & being honest that I will spend more time looking at them hanging in my beautiful closet while opting to wear my pajamas nearly every day....I don't buy much anymore. I windowshop through my Vogue or InStyle magazines & dream of being that person again instead. I do try to get "dolled up" the best I can just to go to the pharmacy to p/u my meds or the grocery store because it will be short & the feeling of being normal & not stared at or pittied in public for looking like I feel does help keep me going. It is not easy to get dressed up, but it really does help the spirit to do so. A little lip gloss & mascara & a comfy but stylish outfit makes a world of difference for me mentally, even if I do change right back to my pj's the minute I get home.
DarlaDaniels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluekrikit (12-27-2015), Sandel (10-20-2009)