View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Gosh... even well into the diagnostic process, then, I'd still take a close look at gluten sensitivity/celiac disease. Delay of Diagnosis

So many things you mention are ringing bells...the frequent swollen glands, rashes, possible lupus, early cataracts, migraines, sarcoidosis.

Quote:
At times off balance, always very cold, at times blured vision, get very tired suddenly, get numb, tingle sensation in feet, and legs along with sharp pains or just a heavy tired sensation in.
I had these same symptoms with a B12 deficiency... which can be a result of malabsorption due to gluten sensitivity/celiac.

You wouldn't have anything to lose by a six month gluten free (also casein free, for good measure) dietary trial ...except for the effort and a little inconvenience. However, I would recommend blood testing for gluten sensitivity/celiac disease first, but would recommend a dietary trial no matter what the results. Do not experiment with diet prior to having blood tests run as you need to be consuming gluten for tests to be accurate... and insist they include the antigliadin IgA and IgG with the celiac panel. Also nothing to lose by taking 1000-2000mcg of methylcobalamin B12 daily, along with a multivitamin with boosted B-complex.

Might also want to scan some of the articles by by Dr. M. Hadjivassilou...as there is one on gluten sensitivity masquerading as SLE.

Gluten sensitivity masquerading as systemic lupus erythematosus. Nov 2004 - free full text

Gluten sensitivity as a neurological illness. May 2002 - free full text

Headache and CNS white matter abnormalities associated with gluten sensitivity. Feb 2001

On sarcoidosis:
Quote:
The dermatological lesions improved during the following weeks with a gluten free diet and relapsed each time this diet was stopped. Many clinical associations with coeliac disease have been described with numerous visceral and skin-mucosa involvements. Eight cases of coeliac disease associated with sarcoidosis affecting the lung have been reported: in five cases, coeliac disease preceded sarcoidosis and in one case sarcoidosis relapsed each time gluten was reintroduced like in our case.
[Celiac disease associated with cutaneous sarcoidosic granuloma] PMID: 9500002

These findings suggest that in patients with sarcoidosis, there is an altered gastrointestinal mucosal immune response, accompanied in about 40% of patients by specific sensitisation to wheat protein.
Altered gastrointestinal immune response in sarcoidosis. PMID: 3265402

I will leave it with that, but if you have any questions or are interested in more info... check out the Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease forum, or you can email through The Gluten File.

Good luck in finding answers!

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote