View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 05:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey JCPA,

The docs. really don't know exactly how IViG works...They use it for people who have common immune deficiency disorder (hypogammagloglulineria sp.?) to provide immunoglobulin where there is none, and for others who have autoimmune diseases that are usually neurological...They think that it works for autoimmune diseases by flooding the immune system with 'normal' antibodies and thus neutralizing the abnormal ones.

Since they don't really know what the mechanism of action is, there are also side-effects that they're not aware of...For example, you can get hemolytic anemia from this procedure...Apparently, this is something that they just discovered...I know that after my first treatment, I developed a bit of anemia...Also, it can cause meningitis...this is where the water comes in...The water helps to bind with the extra fluids (apparently...this is how my nurse explained it to me), and allow you to pass it...You must drink lots of water up to a month after the procedure (I read this somewhere...The headache can be brutal, so I'd heed it).

You can get infections from this procedure, as I'm sure you're aware...The risk is minimal, but it's still something that people should keep in mind...Because you're having surgery, this or plasma exchange is a necessary procedure for you in order to make sure that you are at your strongest, so you don't have much of a choice...But the plasma exchange seems to present a lower risk of passing on blood-borne viruses, prolly 'cause only 5% of it is human...I also found that the effects of plasma exchange are very rapid...IViG seems to simply stabilize wherever I am at the time of getting the procedure done...But everyone's different...

I definately hope that things go very well for you, and that you're feeling as great as Erin does after it!

NIcky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JCPA (09-21-2009)