View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 04:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool Smirk hello there..

I have had 9 lumbar sympathetic blocks done over 3 months last winter/spring.

At first they helped alot it was so incredible to actualy shut the pain down for awhile.. they worked for just less than a week at first, but by the last one it was only helping for 6-8 hours so we quit doing them.

I had my first block done @ 9 months into RSD, I was told if I had started earlier that they mabie could have worked better and mabie shut down the dysfunctional activity in the sympathetic nervouse system (a remission or cure?)

We are told in the literature that if this procedure is done within the first 6 months that it's chance of successfuly beating this are much improved and that even having a few blocks done early on can muchly improve your prognosis later on.

This of cource is not your only treatment offered usualy it is a multidiciniplanary aproach including pysiotherapy, ocupational therapy, cognitive and pain management techniques.

However if you are not being sent for blocks at this time there is one thing that I feel can help you to try get a handle on this monster now, I presume that you are early into RSD though I strongly recomend it at all stages..

Move that leg/arm what ever is effected, gentle stretches, get yourself a routine and keep at it.. you have to keep it mobile gently and try not to over protect the area.

I know it sounds hard and i know it hurts bad but if you do not do this things will be so muchharder later, the more nornal your movements early on the better chance that you can be one of the lucky ones.. Thats not to say that we cannot even now beat this thing but your chances of it happening are better early on.

I have talked to a few who have beat RSD.. or into remission (time will tell)
2 that beat it within the first few months (2&4) with alot of physiotherapy, and 2 that have had a nerve entrapment release done, of the latter 2 one was done via surgery and one done via a chiropractor.

Now see I can't remember things too well lately but I was told too of a successful remission from blocks done early, by a friend of the lucky recipient.. it was upper blocks and she had been mostly pain free for over 6 months when I learned of her from my friend.

So there is hope folks dont ever give up..

I have another friend that just woke up one day and she was less almost all of her pain... she has had type 2 RSD for years and she has had to work hard, and still does to get mobility back, it has only been a few months and there is alot of residule twings and twangs but her pain is mostly gone.. she claims it was the gardening she does as therapy.

Remember to be gentle with yourself, RSD is like a child you have to be firm and consistant yeat loving and gentle. Expect that your child will have tempertantrums (flare ups) and not want you to move it as much as it needs.. and you will want to give in to her demands.. but stay strong and be gentle in all movements..

lol am I just going nuts or does this make sense?

be gentle with yourself in thoughts and movements and soft hugs all around friends.

sandra
Sandel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote