View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM
mhr4

mhr4

Simply put, A QEEG is a completely non invasive procedure that measures your brainwave activity. It is very similar to getting an EEG done, but more detailed. Essentially, you put on a cap that contains around 50 electrodes. The person administering the QEEG will record a baseline and then ask you to perform some simple tasks such as reading, math calculations and meditating. The QEEG records your brainwave activity during these activities. The whole process takes about an hour.

When finished, the administrator will then process the information. Your brain wave activity will be measured for frequency domination, frequency deficiencies, coherence and phase. The last two are basically measuring how well the different areas of your brain are communicating.

The QEEG is probably one of the most sensitive brain scans you can get, which is often required for brain injuries. BTW, two other brain scans you can get that are as sensitive as the QEEG are the SPECT scan and fMRI.

The main reason why people get QEEG's done is because they are going to undertake some form of neurofeedback therapy. In this case, the QEEG is used as a guideline and road map for the therapist. It is also sometimes used in legal matters, but not often.

It's a 50/50 shot to get your insurance company to pay for it, and the average test costs around $800. Because of that, if you aren't planning on doing anything with it, i.e. therapy or for legal matters, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

More information on it can be found here: http://www.qeeg.com/qeegfact.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer14 View Post
What do they do during a QEEG? Im not sure if i am having them or not I havent been back to the doctor since i found out about simple partial seizures so Ill have to ask next time I go in. They may just want to put me on some medicine or something but Im not really sure. What do they do during a QEEG?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote