View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

margot, nancy, etc.

School can be especially hard for a PCS patient. Old study habits will no longer be successful There will likely be a need to drastically reduce work load until the student can develop a new system of study, learning, and testing.

Testing can be extremely problematic. The stress hormone put out during a test can create havoc. You should check with the school for assistance. Tests should be taken in as low a stress environment as possible. Normal time limits will be unacceptable to many with PCS symptoms. Sometimes, there is a need for a note-taker as auditory problems may prevent good note taking.

Check with the office that handles disability issues. In high school and lower, an IEP (Individualized Education Program) might be called for.

I can track all of my decompensations through my school years by looking at old report cards. ( Yes, my mom saved them and gave them to me recently) Twice, I had major struggles with big drops in grades.

Those with the highest previous achievement often have the hardest time. They need to learn completely new ways to learn.

There are three learning methods common to students: auditory, visual, and tactile.

Auditory is listening to lectures. It can be interrupted by extraneous auditory stimuli. Some schools have auditory aids for the hearing impaired. They will help. They increase the contrast between the lecturer's voice and the other auditory noise. Sometimes, you can record lectures to play back later with head phones.

Visual is reading texts or notes from the board. It can be interrupted by too much visual stimuli in a class room.

Some find it helps to always sit in the front row. Then, most of the visual and auditory stimuli is behind them.

I do better by closing my eyes. It just makes note taking impossible.

Tactile is touch, writing down the words that are either heard or read.

Many with PCS will need to combine at least two or maybe all three. Repetition, repetition, repetition will help.

It is important to learn when 'overload' is reached. Not much learning and understanding will happen after overload. Take a rest/break at the first sign of overload.

Good nutrition is paramount. Especially at breakfast. Proteins and low Glucemic index foods will provide better long term brain fuel.

Avoid alcohol and other substances.

Most of all,

REMEMBER THIS.

You can most likely still do everything you could do before. It will just take longer and more effort. Slow down and work with your brain, not against it.

been there, done that, survived to live another day.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote