View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There is also a more clinical form of QEEG. They use a cap with 18 to 26 electrodes. More than that is rarely used except in research. A normal EEG is 14 electrodes.

They have you perform a few functions and watch a TV monitor with timed visual stimulation. Head phones will have timed auditory stimulation. There will be eyes opened and eyes closed segments. This information is then compared to a database of research subjects. There are a number of databases used. New York University has one, Robert Thatcher has one. Lexicor has one. There is another one that is commonly licensed to neurotherapists. I do not remember it name. Many focus on ADD/ADHD with a smaller application to PCS/MTBI.

This would be more completely called an QEEG/VEP/AEP. Quantified Electro Encephalo Gragh / Visual Evoked Potentials / Auditory Evoked Potentials

It measures the processing of the stimuli from the visual or auditory stimulus.

The QEEG/AEP/VEP is a great diagnostic tool except is had been given a bad reputation by a report in a Neurology Journal some years back.

It can help find the malfunctions, especially the parts of the brain effected.

Since its use is very loosely regulated, one should do some research into the practitioner. BCIA credentials are helpful. The oversight of an M.D, is best.

It greatest value for me was to have a M.D. tell me what my brain was doing without knowing my personal symptoms. I finally knew I was not crazy. His diagnosis fit with the neuro-psych assessment I had had, except, he could tell that my symptoms were organic and not psychological.

Neuro-psych assessments can tend to point toward psychological causation. It depends on the biases of the examiner. Since they are usually neuro-psych Ph.D.s or Psych.D.s this problem is common.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote