View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Max,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. It is fantastic that you have reduced your meds in such a dramatic way. I am in awe that you practice Bikram yoga- I started practicing Vinyasa flow prior to my PD diagnosis and even then it kicked my butt.

I truly believe that the meds actually make us dependent in a sense; I think they intensify our symptoms as our brains and bodies frantically look for something that all of a sudden isn't there as drug wears off or is fully metabolized. I'm not sure if it's the drug itself or the fact that it peaks-crashes and has systemic effect. I truly feel worse the more I use and the longer I've used it.

I have a few questions. I am currently seeking a new neurologist and looking for someone who has a more holistic approach.

* Does your neurologist support and/or guide you in using Mucuna or any other herbal supplements?

* How long did it take you to reach your current levodopa daily therapy? Did you schedule a taper off of Sinemet over the course of many months?

* Do you practice yoga daily?

* Do you still work?

* Do you take any other supplements?

Thanks again,

Laura

Hi Laura,
I'm pretty much on my own as far as my meds/herbs goes. It has been trial and error on my part. My doctor & neurologist never heard about these herbs, so they can't prescribe or guide me. They're curious but can't really help me because mucuna is not available here in Canada. You can get it in the States, I get it directly fom India.
Over a couple of months, I've gradually reduced my Sinemet and replaced it with mucuna. After about a year I was able to reduce both meds/herbs together. Everyone is different, but let your doctor know what you're doing and keep a detailed record (amount, time, before / after meals, what you ate, effect, etc.). Mucuna is just as powerful if not more so than Sinemet. Don't just add it to you meds, you have to reduce some of your current drugs at the same time. I'm not a doctor or trained in any way to guide you. Just take it slow and be patient.
I go to my Bikram Yoga every other day and meditate daily.
I'm not working right now. Rebuilding my body is a full time job.
Besides my Aryurvedic herbs, I occasionally take a multi-vitamin or a Mind Care tablet. I prefer to get my suppliments from eating healthy food.
It's important to enjoy life and not get stressed. Joy releases natural dopamine into your system. Stress releases adredaline.
So keep positive, try doing some brain gym or Somatic muscle exercises, believe in recovery and exercise the best you can.
It couldn't hurt.

Max
Max19BC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (09-23-2009), imark3000 (09-23-2009)