View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default All I Can Say Is....."wow"!

A week later I got bitten by my dog and jumped. I couldnt open my mouth or hold my head up. Apparently the jump had caused my to develop orimadible dystonia. To avoid having to have tube feeds I had to be on liquidised food to try and eat it, though it also had to be thick enough to swallow as I also had problems with that. I was placed in a full spine/ neck brace to hold my head up and more tests continued as to why I had lost the use of it. Orthotics made me a special brace that I used during the day in conjunction with the head rest on my wheelchair to keep my head upright and to allow me to drive.
In March I had the EMG. Straight after those I lost almost the entire use of my arms (before I hadn't been able to use my fingers or thumbs, now I coudnt move my elbows either or my shoulders). Loads more tests etc and they discovered I had severe dystonia (which I have botox for). However, in 2006 I stayed in college, managed full time and managed to get 4 A's - the highest grades you can get. I got a place at a prestigous college to study psychology.
So now, on the 5th anniversary of me having RSD where am I? I am still in severe constant pain, I haven't slept through a night in 5 years. I take ketaime, dihydrocideine, baclofen, diazipam, benzhexol, ibuprofen, paracetemol and diclofenac. I am living away from home at university most of the time. I have live in 24 hour carers who feed me, dress me, lift me, etc. I use an electric wheelchair or am pushed around in my manual. My hands don't work and I have to have someone with me to do anything at all. I am waiting to see a neurosurgeon about possible having a DBS implanted. Both my feet are inverted and twist over each other, my toes are twisted backwards, my hips have twisted too. My periods stopped for several years and have now re started very sporadically. I still can't hold my head up and though my jaw has improved I still can't eat very solid food. I still aspirate frequently and have difficulty with swallowing. My elbows still don't work and my shouldners anre't much better. The botox has helped my right hand abit so I can operate my electric wheelchair. I have RSD full body and everything hurts, burns, stabs, screams. I can now wear clothes (but not shoes) but everything that touches my skin still feels like it is burning holes through it.

But at the same time - I now have a life - which is something I never considered possible. I have friends, I go out, I try and be as "normal" as possible. I even went on holiday last summer with my friends. I will never stop hoping that there is a cure or some relief somewhere out there - but my life is not going to stop whilst I wait for it.[/QUOTE]

Hi Froggy!

I just wanted to respond to your "history", but I'm still learning how to do this correctly.

YOU SURE MAKE ME FEEL "LAZY". YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!

I hope the doc's discover a way to help you. Have they decided yet if you havae something besides (or in addition to) RSD?

Gentle hugs!

DeniseG
Denise G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote