View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
Hello All,

I had a SGB yesterday and have a question. In my reading before hand, I learned there are 3 things that can happen:

1. wrong spot, so the block was a failure
2. right spot and relief
3. right spot and no relief

My main source of pain feels like a burning golf ball just to the left of the cervical/thoracic junction. I think I have a pinched nerve there, but it doesn't show on MRI. I think that's because it doesn't pinch in neutral position. If I laid in bed 24/7 I normally wouldn't have pain....it's being up and about, using my left arm for anything and turning to the left that triggers pain.

I also have some numbness/tremors down the left arm, weird colors (red to black and blue looking )on my arm (but not the classic shiny red), always hot, frequent massive sweats, etc.

The doc knows he hit the right spot......done under fluroscopy and I had the red eye/stroke eye thing.

Neck to arm was numb for several hours, still had my main pain, but greatly decreased. Went to bed when I got home, the numbess from the local was fading, but my left arm felt good ! I could wear my hair down without it driving me insane, still dressed in just a tank top....didn't try to add more clothes.

I must have slept in a funky position because I woke up with severe pain in my 'spot' and massive sweats

Did the SGB not work ? Or did it work until I repinched the nerve sleeping weird ?

My left arm feels normal now (last 5 years has felt numbish.....like my hand felt like I was wearing latex gloves) no heavy ache in chest/axilla/arm. The neck pain is back with a vengence and obviously the sweating did not stop

Is that a successful block or not ?

This was also done for diagnostic purposes and now I'm more confused than ever.

Any thoughts ?

Sounds like a successful block - you had the Horner's Syndrome (droopy red eye) and no pain for a period of time in your neck. And your arm feels better. In my experience, my arm usually felt completely painfree for 30 hours or less. I have RSD in my upper right extremity, my neck and my head.

I am fairly certain that your block confirmed your RSD in your upper extremity - it took away your pain. That is my understanding of the interpretation of the blocks and the results.

I believe that my blocks also worked on my RSD symtoms for a period of time. I had a series of 7 of them last winter, and they helped a lot with the facial and chest flushing, cold frozen hands and feet, etc. because they act on the sympathetic nervous system. I remember driving to work one morning and feeling almost "normal." It was awesome - my hands and feet felt OK, I wasn't shivering uncontrollably. Unfortunately, my blocks kept wearing off and I would end up back at square one.

I felt like my RSD was spiraling out of control until I started getting the blocks - they definately chilled me out for a while. Before my first block everything was starting to get numb - my face, my mouth, hands, feet etc. And after the first and second block I could sleep on the back of my head for a night. That was the last time I was able to do that, because that area is much too painful to lie down on. i can only sleep on my left side of my head.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get a few more answers to your question to help you out.

XOXOX Sandy

Last edited by SandyRI; 09-23-2009 at 09:29 AM.
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote