View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffie View Post
Hello Everyone. I am new here and would really appreciate your advice.

I was diagnosed with TN last year. I'm 38 years old. It has been a rollercoaster year. My MRI scan showed inflammation and I have been told that is causing my pain and there is nothing surgically that can be done. It will be a case of managing the pain with medication.

I'm currently taking 1800mg Tegretol and Tramadol as and when required. I'm permitted to up the dosage to 2000mg Tegretol if I need to.

I'm still working full time but to be honest I think my days of doing this are numbered. I'm in a constant haze most of the time and still suffer from the dreaded 10 out of 10 zaps occasionally. I have to be very careful eating as that is still a trigger and I have lost a lot of weight due to not being able to eat on bad days.

I would appreciate any help on managing this condition, as at the moment I'm feeling low, and can't seem to see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Hello, Saffie

I have TNA already more than 21 years and took the medications, mostly Tegretol XR, because it works the best for me. Also, I try any other things about which I have read or heard, nothing was helpful, only the one - neuragen helps me now. I apply it 4-5 times a day, I continue to take the Tegretol but was able to cut the dose from 4-6 tabs (200 mg) to only 2 a day. I consider this as a big achievement. I read also about another treatment - zostrix (one guy uses this with a big help), but did not try yet. Both are not medications, they are made from plants. It's possible to buy them at pharmacies.
So, I think it's worth to try because to take such medication as Tegretol or Lyrica... bring you to take them more and more and will not help in some period of the time.

Nata
nata is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote