Thread: Checking in...
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 04:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm asthmatic, so I thought my asthma was just uncontrolled. So I'd refill my steroids and start to feel better. I was actually diagnosed during a trip in for an "asthma attack". Smart doc!

I was lucky that after my diagnosis was confirmed, I got Mestinon, Prednisone, Imuran, plasmapheresis and a thymectomy right away. I took a leave of absence from work for my thymectomy.

Things went well after that, I passed for "normal" for years. I didn't tell a lot of people about the MG, no reason to. I had cut down on work schedule for health reasons in the beginning & never resumed the 60 hours a week I had done prior.

When things started going badly again about 2 years ago, it was really hard for me to ask for help. Now that I had children, it was no longer about my pride, it was about their safety. I could not imagine coping with newly diagnosed MG and having an infant.

Fortunately, my mother is a take charge kind of gal. She is one of those moms who was involved with church and school and she taught me the power of networking. Some people will never understand how MG works, but right now you have a new baby & are not well. I would hope people could relate to that.

Jess, have you had a thymectomy yet? Are you on immunosuppressants or just Mestinon? Are you receptive to try some of the really strong immunosuppressants right off the bat?

Right now is the time you need the help the most, you have a new infant. The immunosuppressants should kick in in a year, if you are on them.

Is your family nearby? Most importantly, are they supportive and willing to learn about your MG?

Jenna
stayathomemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote