View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Another quick thought...

I am currently reading some information about therapy and bipolar illness.

Some say a combination of CBT or related therapies in conjunction w/ family therapy can be very effective.

We know of one therapist who is getting good results seeing her bipolar patients weekly, but once a month she sees the entire family.

A therapist who is comfortable working w/ bipolar patients and is familiar with techniques that will be of help during times of crisis, esp. mania, can be of special comfort.

So, IMHO, it takes a really top notch medical doc familiar w/ the illness (psychiatrist) AND a really good therapist. The family therapy might be doubly important when you consider the attachment concerns.

My heart goes out to you...our dau is adopted ....so attachment is always a concern...this creates an additional potential trigger.

I do wonder if at some point, adopted children (not sure if you mentioned if your child is adopted or not) honestly just simply have to make the difficult decision to let this burden "go." It is certainly not easy, but necessary. It might not be much more unlike the ones all of us have to make when we reach adulthood...certain things in life are very difficult and very very unfair. But part of moving forward is letting things go, doing our best and see what good things are out there in this world for us.