View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default delayed response...

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I just had to put my dog down Saturday... and I'm overcome with grief.

When I first picked him out, I had already read all the books on all the breeds and determined the top two breeds for my needs and my personality, along with how well they could be trained to help. Now I will have to go back through training with a new dog...which is very difficult physically and emotionally.

The trainers usually advise that at age 8 you adopt your dog out and get another one, since their lives and assistance capabilities begin to go downhill then.

I couldn't let go of my dog at 8 years, and indeed kept him almost twice that long! He was loyal to the end... always wanting to be with me etc. He wouldn't retire. I stayed with him to the end, too.

The larger breeds do have hip dysplasia usually, which limits their time. Mine didn't have such a problem until the very last years.

I hope the dog you need comes into your life, like mine did for me. TC JD