View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofpain07 View Post
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone else was having trouble with getting their doctor's to listen to them? It seems that no matter what I tell the pain doctor, the ortho or any doctor at the emergency room---they all have the attitude that they know more than I do. Half of the doctors at the emergency room---haven't even heard of c.r.p.s---let alone be able to do anything for me. It took me months to get the pain doctor to give me something stronger for the pain---he did give me a long acting pill that I take twice a day---but he refuses to budge on the perocet even though I've been on the same strength for over 2 years.
When I go to see him---I can't be in pain, even though its over 50 some miles & thats one way. If I am in pain then he has it in my notes that I'm to be put on the schedule for surgery for the spinal cord stimulator---I don't get a say in it at all. The research that I've done says that a stimulator doesn't work, there are even doctors that won't advise their patients to have it. He told me that the success rate was alot higher than I've read about, not that it surprises me any at all--not after all that I've gone through with them over the years.
I know that this might sound stupid but why is it that all that matters to the doctors is MONEY?? I thought that they took an oath to "help" their patients---or is that just when it suits them?? The ones that have heard of this disease know that there is no "cure" for this & that we are the ones that have to deal with this pain on a daily basis not them so what does it hurt them to give us something that will control the pain??
I just want the pain that I'm in 24/7 to be better controlled than it is---why do they make it sound like I'm asking them to give me a million dollars?
Was just curious if anyone else was going through the same stuff that I am & how many of you there are.
Hope that I'm not the only one having these kind of problems with the doctor. Thanks & hope to hear from anyone else having these kind of problems & what you did to actually get help. Thanks.
Janet
Hi Janet and Welcome, You will find a lot of comfort and good information here on the forum. Even though we all are at different stages and react to different meds, we are a comfort for each other. I personally feel there is such a lack of knowledge among the medical profession, and I also feel fear is a factor because of so much litigation and so many different procedures can and do make us worse. So many Drs. really don't want to have us as patients.
I got RSD following surgery, but wasn't diagnosed for 4 years. It's been 14 years now and full body. 5 years ago I found a very compassionate Dr. -a psychiatrist, neurologist, and pharmacologist. He doesn't take insurance and I see him once a month $250 hr. He is compassionate, helped me thru some rough times. I respect him and he respects me. His knowledge and openness to treatment has kept me mobile and out of a wheelchair. I am crippled in my left hand (before this Dr.)
One way to find good RSD Dr. in your area is to look up RSDSA and put in your zip code. It will give you a support group phone number and name.Our support group in Phoenix is at Barrows Neurological Institute. Good place for support and Drs. names. Another website is rsdrx.com- a retired RSD Dr. still has his web site up-under puzzles are 140 questions and his answers. A lot of good information.
I believe most of us have weakened immune systems and my Dr. is encouraging me to get flu shot and h1n1 shot. I have a weakness in my chest.I never have taken the flu shot, but am going to this year.
Please know we care and want to be of support to you. Today I had a meltdown. Doesn't happen every week thank goodness, but today was pretty bad. High pain, etc. Your friend, loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (09-26-2009), bobber (09-26-2009), CZZ74 (10-15-2009), dreambeliever128 (09-26-2009), hope4thebest (09-26-2009), SandyRI (09-27-2009), SandyS (10-02-2009)