View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hang up the keys-for now.

Hey Soccer,

I've had to stop driving since I started having seizures again. It was months after my injury before I was allowed behind the wheel, so it came as a blow to find myself again in that position.

I live in the boonies so there's zero mass transit and I'm pretty housebound. However, as I was hurt by an irresponsible drunk driver, I'd never put others at risk. I know you're not the kind of person who would want to do that either. Please find another way to get around until your seizures are under control.

Luckily I have a pronounced and fairly protracted aura (warning signs a seizure is coming) so I can make sure I'm not lighting the woodstove or something when it happens.

I'm glad you're going for the neuro-psych. As I told you I was much improved when I had mine (Not hard, since all I did in the beginning was stare out the window and drool.), but that didn't mean all the torn axons had healed.

I know all this is really hard for you. I was a big time jock before my accident, too. When I was in university, I could never have imagined that anything could be more important than winning this or that championship. I've since discovered that there were things waiting for me that have made all that seem pretty pale in comparison. I know it sounds cliche, but the first time I held my baby in my arms, there just wasn't anything else in the world. There are fabulous things waiting for you, too - make sure you're there and healthy enough to embrace them.

Keep us posted as you go through the process: we're all here to hold your virtual hand.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (09-30-2009)