View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 03:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello,
I did have the 2 week 5 day ketamine treatments with Dr. Schwartzman at Drexel. I have had 3 sets of boosters and am scheduled for another in Nov. I was so scared of having them and they were not as bad as I thought. They give you meds to help with the hallucinations and want you to take Ativan before bed and in the morning while you are having the treatments. I did have some mild hallucinations. Nothing really bad.

I can say that I got some relief. I don't know how to describe what was happening to my arms. I said it felt like is was itchy. I use to scratch until I was brusied. I would wear lidocaine patches to bed. That has stopped. The first 2 week treatments gave me quite a bit of relief but it has not put me into remission. My arms symptoms have not returned though so that is quite a relief. Dr. S. thinks I would be a better canidate for the 5 day in hospital high dose treatment.

I do have a PPO (Blue Cross) and they are now refusing to pay. They would only pay for the outpatient but now say that the treatments are experimental/investigative and want the money back they paid for the first so many treatments.
I paid out of pocket for the last boosters. I have a hearing for my 2nd appeal on 10/8. I am hoping I win the appeal. I wish I could get them to pay for the inpatient treatments. I think at this point I would try anything to get rid of this pain.

The staff in the infusion room at Hahnemann were great. They really give you the best of care. I wish I could say I came away pain free but that is not true. However, I have met many patients at the infusion room that have had remarkable results.

Good Luck and hope they work if you decide to have them.

I have a question for everyone. Have any of you had a nerve block or Lidocaine treatments. Are the Lidocaine treatments infusions? I have an appt with Dr. S. in Oct to discuss a nerve block I would like to know if there are any other treatments I should be prepared to ask him questions about. I need something to stop the burning any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hopeful
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote