View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wiz,
1. Talk it over with DH if money is a problem. Otherwise, it's your life to live and decide about, not his. He doesn't live in your shoes, no one does. Even if he loves you to pieces it's your body that suffers.

2. Find out the amount of SSDI you will get. A ball park figure is good.

3. Figure your medical costs and of having no ins, if you have it now. You don't get medical ins on Medicare for 18 months. Ask Kitty. If you can get COBRA for 18 months and afford it, that might work.

You are on expensive medication, it is on your DH's plan?

If you worked part-time you get credit for only pt hours and pt money. They do ask about all your past jobs and where, when, what you made and what you did.

They want pay stubs, so if you had your own business that might be an issue.

If you worked at home, that is an issue too. Look on SS sites on forums for disability Q & A's you might have.

Then they ask the health questions, over and over, sent in questionnaires. Copy them before you send them back to them, because they ask the same info over and over in different wording.

They want copies of medical tests, doctors reports, everything you can get together helps.

All this is done after one meeting with the SS people in person, or online if you want, or by appt. by you calling them. They are nice and it isn't a bad process. If you paid into it, you deserve the money back when you need it.

Wiz, I wish you lots of luck. Go for it if you can afford it. It took a few years to get used to being home, but I couldn't keep up.

Even driving to work, when I left NYC and went to work by bus was so tiring. On the bus I could sleep. But not while I was driving everyday for an hour each way though.

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

"Life is what it is". We can only focus on controlling those things we can control, we must let go of the things we can't.
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (09-28-2009), ewizabeth (09-26-2009), SallyC (09-26-2009)