View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
Hello,
I did have the 2 week 5 day ketamine treatments with Dr. Schwartzman at Drexel. I have had 3 sets of boosters and am scheduled for another in Nov. I was so scared of having them and they were not as bad as I thought. They give you meds to help with the hallucinations and want you to take Ativan before bed and in the morning while you are having the treatments. I did have some mild hallucinations. Nothing really bad.

I can say that I got some relief. I don't know how to describe what was happening to my arms. I said it felt like is was itchy. I use to scratch until I was brusied. I would wear lidocaine patches to bed. That has stopped. The first 2 week treatments gave me quite a bit of relief but it has not put me into remission. My arms symptoms have not returned though so that is quite a relief. Dr. S. thinks I would be a better canidate for the 5 day in hospital high dose treatment.

I do have a PPO (Blue Cross) and they are now refusing to pay. They would only pay for the outpatient but now say that the treatments are experimental/investigative and want the money back they paid for the first so many treatments.
I paid out of pocket for the last boosters. I have a hearing for my 2nd appeal on 10/8. I am hoping I win the appeal. I wish I could get them to pay for the inpatient treatments. I think at this point I would try anything to get rid of this pain.

The staff in the infusion room at Hahnemann were great. They really give you the best of care. I wish I could say I came away pain free but that is not true. However, I have met many patients at the infusion room that have had remarkable results.

Good Luck and hope they work if you decide to have them.

I have a question for everyone. Have any of you had a nerve block or Lidocaine treatments. Are the Lidocaine treatments infusions? I have an appt with Dr. S. in Oct to discuss a nerve block I would like to know if there are any other treatments I should be prepared to ask him questions about. I need something to stop the burning any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hopeful
Hopeful,
I have had 17 left lumbar sympathetic nerve blocks for my RSD- is this the type of nerve block that your doctor is suggesting? There are several different types, that's why I am asking.

It's a minor procedure, and you are not put out, only light sedation, so you don't "freak out". My procedures last about 45 minutes, but I have heard that is a long time, and my doctor told me my lumbars don't always like to cooperate, plus my BP doesn't always cooperate either (it drops suddenly, and I have low BP to begin with), so sometimes we have to play with the drugs before we can even start!

While it's outpatient and a minor procedure, it's no walk in the park either. It's a 12 inch long needle that goes in from your side, all the way up to your spine and the nerve. If you are only beginning them, then you won't have to worry about scarring in the muscles and all that- that's when it really starts to hurt me, because she has "pop" through the scarring to get to where she needs to be. It's uncomfortable, sometimes really painful, but they give you IV pain meds to help.

For me, the beginning ones helped tremendously. Then, the effect started to wear off. Now, I usually only have them if I am flaring- they do wonders for me of getting me out of the flare-up, and bringing me back down to "normal". Sometimes, the relief is longer than others, and I have had two which have brought my pain levels down enough that I was able to be off meds and working. So, there is something to be said for it.

If you are really thinking about doing them, I cannot recommend my doctor enough. She is WONDERFUL and known for doing Nerve Blocks. Dr. Ginger Chiang, of Delaware Back Pain. Really, she's awesome, and I cannot recommend her enough if you are planning on going this route.

Let me know what you decide, and feel free to PM me if you have more in depth questions. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Diagnosed RSD/CRPS November 2006

"Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is."

bbpoolgurl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote