View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 01:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Only one carotid artery?

Hi everyone

I posted my history of concussions in another thread. Hockey, in welcoming me to the forum, urged me to get a Neuropsych evaluation ASAP. Well, I got referred for this, but in a weird way. I had an MRI of my pituitary, because the levels were going haywire. Turns out the pituitary is intact, with no tumors. My hormone levels are still haywire. What was weird was that the MRI revealed that I have only one artery that carries blood to the brain, on the left. On the right, where the other one is supposed to be, there is--nothing. My first thought was that I should have read through that entire parts list before exiting the spacecraft. The endocrinologist referred me STAT to a neurologist (only way I can explain getting a neuro appointment the next week) for referral for a full neuropsych workup. Evidently, the left one is a little bigger to take up the slack, but there probably have been some cylinders misfiring all along. Weirdest thing I've heard of in about three days.

Has anyone out there ever heard of having only one carotid artery? Anybody got a spare one, Right side, 1952 model?

thanks

gershonb
gershonb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote