View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Hope15,

I'm a 50-year old male, so the hormonal changes aren't likely the etiology of my problem, although the Journal of Oralfacial Pain in its June or July issue carried a story about buring mouth, in which the authors posited that extended periods of stress, regardless of sex, can lead a biochemical chain reaction that leads to trigeminal nerve damage. In any event, what's more likely in my case is either impaired glucose tolerance or alcohol consumption. for the last 3 years I had two and sometimes three glasses a wine a day. Since mid-June I've had none at all.

By the way, my small fiber neuropathy was confirmed by a relatively new skin biopsy invented by a lab called Therapath in N.Y. It measures epidermal nerve fiber density at the calf and thigh. My value was low normal. My podiatrist said I have a shot of restoring the density of nerve fibers by taking l-methyl folate, B6, B12 (by way of prescription compound called Metanx) and I'm also taking 1,500 mg/day of Acetyl L Carnitine, which research backs up as helping pain and nerve regeneration. Crossing my fingers, still hoping to hear from anyone in the forum who's had a true recovery from burning mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope15 View Post
When my neuropathy first started last November of 08, I had attacks of burning lips along with my neuropathy. It would come and go, but I haven't felt it in quite awhile now. It was confusing to me because along with my neuropathy, I was experiencing intense menopausal symptoms. Burning mouth (lips, tongue, etc) is also a menopausal symptom, so I didn't know which one it was. I'm just glad it's died down for now..
dbrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote