View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 09:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimichicago View Post
has anybody had any luck with rolfing or other intense forms of massage in relieving your pain? i guess i'm only addressing people with isolated rsd--mine is only in my left foot, which nobody touches but me (sometimes i'll have my bf or mom put tiger balm on it, but SO gently), so i'm able to get massages elsewhere on my body without fear or pain. my gait and my spine are messed up from limping and favoring my left foot for so long, so i'm wondering if doing something to realign my body could contribute to a more correct nervous system response to stepping down. one of my PTs did this thing to release tension in the tendons of my left leg, which she said would minimize the jarringness of my step--similar idea, though i'm not sure if it worked or not.

btw: it's been a while since i've posted, so here's my status: i've had slow-developing RSD in my foot since i strained it on a run in 2001; first found myself on crutches for it in 2004; wasn't diagnosed till november 2008.

thanks, everyone! i always feel better after a visit to this site. i sometimes forgot i'm not the only one in the world dealing with this invisible tyrant.
Hi Mimichicago,
It may not be for everyone, but for me massage therapy followed by physical therapy weekly for a year, got my full range of motion back. I wasn't diagnosed with RSD for 4 years. Now have full body. I believe in my case, I have complete mobility and no touch sensitivity because of both therapies. There was delay in diagnosis of my left hand, thus I do have partial paralysis in left hand. I had gentle massage therapy to help soften, loosen, tissue before physical therapy. the frozen shoulder happened following surgery. I felt the therapy was better than surgery to break shoulder that they wanted to do. The massage therapy prior to physical therapy was my idea and I paid as insurance didn't cover it. Massage therapy still feels good to me.I believe my surgeon knew I had something happen during surgery, but sent me to rehab dr. for 2 or 3 therapy session. Right after surgery, my arm swelled and his partner withdrew huge amounts of lime green liquid about 3 different office visits. This was 14 years ago. I was in terrible pain and shocks thru my body. My present Dr for the last 5 years, told me I really got RSD from original surgery. RSD used to be called hand shoulder syndrome. I know now green means infection and they didn't even give me anything or say green liquid and no movement wasn't normal. It was a breast tumor biopsy in the breast and deep in underarm lymph gland enlargement. The surgeon couldn't run the other way fast enough.
Like I said, I had to have gentle massage and it helped a lot. About 3 years ago my toes curled up off the floor and thru swimming and massage therapy, they were touching the floor in about 4 months. I'm grateful to my present Dr. for keeping me mobile. I still stretch and practice therapy almost dailey Hope this helps, take care, loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote