View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Go for it, Wiz! If you are approved, it doesn't mean that you have to take it. Just start the process and see where you are at when you are approved.

Make sure your drs. (all drs.) are on board with your decision. That is so important when they review your medical records and when your drs have to fill out their portion of the paperwork. Additionally, if there is any testing that would support your inability to work, have it done. (Neuropsych testing, nerve conduction tests, fatiguability, etc.) These tests will help as well. I found the questions to be geared towards those with injuries and/or mental illness. So having these tests will help both you and the dr with this process.

They also require someone who knows you and sees you on a regular basis to fill out a form. Your DH would be a great person to do that part. Have him keep notes so that when the form comes it will be easier for him to fill out. (I had my mom do it as DDs were too young).

Keep notes yourself to help you fill out the paperwork. Include every detail. This is really important. Sometimes we only look at the bigger symptoms but when you start going in to detail it helps. I got denied the 1st time, got a lawyer, and appealed. They gave me this advice. So I did right, down to the fact that bras irritate the hug, when sensory symptoms hit I want to just tear my clothes off, I can't wear closed toe shoes as it causes spasms, etc. When I wrote it out, thanks to cog fog, which may have worked in my favor, words were left out and some I didn't even spell right and a few of the questions I didn't even answer correctly. I just left it that way and submitted it. I was approved in a month. LOL

My decision was far easier to make. 9 months after my 1st major flare and and 3 significant flares, I still was not able to walk well - falling all the time, wall walking, couldn't read (even children's books were too difficult for me), etc. I knew then that this was not going away and trying to support my DDs on $700 a month was really a challenge and stressful.

While on SSDI, you can work but can make no more that a certain amount ($700 ??? a month).

Wishing you the best of luck.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (09-28-2009), Debbie D (09-28-2009), ewizabeth (09-28-2009)