View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi chokato,

One thing to realize with oral infections is that they usually do not show signs or symptoms until they have been brewing for awhile.....sometimes as long as years. Pregnancy hormones trigger the immune system to send out protective cells to the mother and her baby against offending bacteria so it's not unusual for the signs/symptoms of an infection to surface during pregnancy.

The root canal procedure is designed to remove the visible infectious bacteria/nerves but it cannot remove what the eye or microscope cannot see in the millions of tiny, wavy, microscopic canals. Therefore a tooth that has been root canaled remains infected to some degree. When you combine the long standing infection that you had in this (untreated) tooth with the chronic infection that is in it now.......you can see how the infection is lurking around in that general area of where the tooth is in your mouth. Radiographs bascially give a 2 dimensional picture and often are not enough to diagose a complex problem adequately. Also, it is not uncommon for a dentist to see what he thinks is scar tissue from an infection on the radiograph when in fact (pathologically) it is active infection. I have seen many hundreds of pathology reports of extracted root canaled teeth ... some of these teeth were symptomatic and others weren't...... all of them harbored various degress of multiple infectious bacterias.

One simple explanation of the odd sensations you are having when drinking water......... the bony area above your 6 front teeth is very thin compared to the rest of the mouth. When a long term infection is present in that area, the bone becomes even thinner to non existent which eventually affects the nerves and so forth in that area. Thus you could experience tingling, numbness, pain....... etc.

Perhaps a dental CT scan of the area would be helpful in diagnosing the full extent of the situation before you move forward with additional dental work on it.

I feel bad that you are dealing with this....... try not to worry about the what if's...... get your dentist or doctor to order the CT to help put your mind at ease and come up with a better diagnosis. That way you can discuss your treatment options more effectively with your dentist.

Please keep us posted how you are doing!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokato View Post
Hello

Here is my story:

During my second pregnancy, I had an untreated abscess on front tooth. It was left untreated throughout the pregnancy about a year. Initial pain but the pain went away so I didn't think it was serious.

During that time, I noticed symptoms such as weird tightness in nose like around the septum and twitching. Then my lips and mouth start to twitch and facial trembling.

After delivery I treated the tooth with root canal(haven't put on crown yet). The dentist said that the bacteria was probably causing the twitching and tingling. Did follow up xrays the bacteria looks like it is gone. I took antibiotics etc.

Before all the twitching and tingling around face occurred (months before) my teeth (fron teeth)would feel like pins and needles but eventually went away. Do I have gum disease? My dad had gum disease. But they looked at my gums it looks healthy. My calcium level is normal all blood test normal.

So now what? I'm still having tightness around septum, nose area and twtiching and tingling around lips both top and bottom 2 months after the tooth was treated. Could the bacteria have caused nerve damage? I feel like when I drink water goes up but no water coming out of nose... it's WEIRD... neuro said for me to go see endo. She doesn't know either. What is wrong with me? It's been a nightmare. Is the bacteria hiding in there still like anerobic bacteria?

Last edited by Bryanna; 09-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote