View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default This works for me

I was frustrated with trying to exercise, but then I invented a philosophy that works for me. I know that the objective of exercise for an MS patient is to exercise so that we will be able to continue to use our muscles to move our bodies. After a few years of research and experimentation I think I stumbled upon a way to exercise that isn’t unpleasant for the MS patient, and it is actually more beneficial than regular (grunt) exercise. Effortless body movement is key. I was introduced to this idea when I read on the Internet about a study done using a special bicycle-built-for-two. An able-bodied person was put on the bike, and an MS person was also put in the second position. The MS person’s only contribution was to keep their feet on the pedals, while the able-bodied person cranked the pedals and kept them in motion. The only way I could think of to achieve effortless movement was to move my limbs in water. Certainly I could kick like a Vegas dancer if I was standing in shoulder-deep water, and move my arms. So I tried it. I’d just stand in shoulder-deep water and kick as if there were nothing in the world wrong with my legs. No huffing and puffing. No actual muscle effort. Simply movement. I do that for an hour, three times a week. As a result, my legs don’t swell, and I enjoy much better mobility, and I am in much less pain.

Perhaps some day there will be a study, but until then I'm just doing what works for me.
marion06095 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (09-30-2009), Debbie D (09-29-2009), gonnamakeit (09-30-2009), SallyC (09-28-2009)