View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 05:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Hi Footprints (and Garney) ,
"Lesions" just means "damage to the brain". They are looking for a specific size, shape and location to determine whether they are likely to be of the MS-variety. Lesions can have many causes (some of which were discussed on that website), so it would be up to the radiologist/neurologist to determine if these were likely "MS" lesions.

Even if MS was suspected, many Neurologists take a "wait and see" approach (especially if there are other health factors that would be more likely be the cause of symptoms/lesions). They will often monitor a patient, wait for another episode, or another MRI, then review the prior information.
http://www.dls.ym.edu.tw/neuroscience/progmig.html
Website explaining the research that suggests women with migraines sometimes show lesions (assumed to be caused by the migraines). The location of the lesions sounds very similar to MS lesions, doesn't it? Periventricular?

My sister said that the neuro was not concerned about the lesions now, after all; that they could (!) be caused by her migraines. The End. I will try to get her to send me the MRI report with descriptions of the lesions, but I suspect she's gonna blow it off. She just had the surgery to repair the cervical herniations, which the neuro is now saying was responsible for her loss of feeling and balance, etc. The lesions.....who cares.

But they never did do any lumbar puncture (I had suggested they sample the spinal fluid today since they were gonna be in her neck, literally, anyway, but they didn't).

I know it makes some sense to just wait and see, but dang, if she has MS, I'd rather she get on preventative meds. I never had a positive LP, and I certainly had symptoms, so maybe it's not always 100% proof.

Garney, my sis is kind of like you. She finally started on anti-seizure meds a little while ago. Neurontin, I think. So she has the seizures (like me, and like my mom!), has lesions, has been diagnosed with migraines, has had these neurological probs (supposedly all assigned to the cervical herniation problem). Where do you draw the line? Limboland and watching it, or just not really watching it and saying it's migraines (or age, or whatever)?

If I had had lesions, or a positive LP, my neuro would have kicked me out of Limboland and into MS. My sis has lesions, but she's "got migraines". Hmmmm. Not that I *want* her to have MS; but I don't want her left untreated for something that she may have!!!!

Garney, I hope you get better answers! What do you do if the neuro explains lesions away by saying aging (or migraines) can cause lesions (both true). Pat pat on the head, now go away..... My sister got that two years ago (well, she wasn't even told about the lesions at that time). I've heard neuros are the most egotistical of all medical professions, and I don't doubt it. Hard to grill them, I would think.
Footprints is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote