View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ANYONE with input?

I know I'm responding to an older posting. I'd be curious to know what the outcome of the situation was. I'm in the midst of a very similar affliction. Was diagnosed in May with 2 herniated discs (l4-l5/l5-s1). I had subsequent sciatica, which was treated with MacKenzie technique PT, and a spinal cortisone injection. The cortisone took care of the pain, but not the numbness in my middle 2 toes, nor the limp caused by a debilitated calf muscle. Just had an electrode test by a neurologist. He said there's obvious nerve impingement by compression of l5-s1. The muscle in the top of my foot and in my calf is now less than 20% of what it should be. There is significant atrophy. The neurologist is one of NYC's finest, and implies time is of the essence. He'll look at my MRIs today, and then recommend a surgeon. He thinks I'll be a good candidate for laproscopic surgery (laminectomy? discectomy?). I've always thought back surgery should be avoided at all costs, but I don't want to walk with a limp for the rest of my life. I'm an otherwise healthy and active 40 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo View Post
Hi, I am 40 years old, always had eposides of back pain, but 2 months ago I woke up with unbearable pain (25 on the scale on 1-10) in the leg/foot, could not step on it, could not work etc. Ended up in ER. They performed neroexam and said that everything is fine, it is sciatica and will get better. Well, next day I had big toe totally not moving. Long story short, saw neuro, he said to go conservarive route but see neurisergeom nevetheless (who I aslo saw and he gave me steroid and said that I should try conservative route too). MRI result l4-l5 disk protrusion with l5 nerve root impingement. Anyway, today is 2 months since that episode, I am definitly better, I still have back pain and calf pain but I am not even using vicodin on most days. However, my foot strenth is not coming back completly, it is better , but still pretty weak. Today I saw neuro again for follow up and he refered me to neurosergent again saying that I should consider surgery. I am in total shock since he is very conservative doctor. He said that I still have limp and in his opinion the strenth will not return unless I do a surgery. Anyone was in my shoes? I see a lot of posts about sciatica pain, but not much about sciatica nerve damage in foot from disk herniation. My pain today is bearable, it is the nerve damage that consernes me. I am going to see surgent nexy week but in a mean time I am looking for simular situation. Thanks!
Miss Claire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote