View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default re-diagnosing and tongue wagging

i moved 6 years ago and in the process of looking for a new neurologist met one who said he didn't think i had parkinsons and wanted to see me off of all meds. (i had had pd 9 or 10 yrs at that point and was taking sinemet and mirapex) i began tapering off meds and became extremely rigid, to the extent that i could only lie of the floor. the dr meanwhile went to europe for 3 weeks. we tried and tried to get hold of him and finally emailed him. he said i should go to the hospital and that i should start taking my meds again. as soon as i took my sinemet things got better. fortunately for him, this doc decided to concentrate on research.
the moving of the tongue side to side is a way to measure tremor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
I visited today with a potential new MDS. Upon examining me, he concluded that he could not definitively diagnose me with PD and begin treating me based on what he observed. It was a given that I was "on" with Sinemet, and I completely understand where he is coming from given that I was asking him to treat me based on someone else's diagnosis. He noted that even in an "on" state with the mega-doses of Sinemet that I take, he expected to see more definitive signs of PD. He wants me to come back in for testing when I'm drug free for 12 hours- this should be oodles of fun.

I'm a little stunned by this but also respect the wish to essentially re-diagnose me. Of course, I have many questions and hope you will chime in with what you think or your experiences and knowledge!

- Anyone have a similar experience in being re-diagnosed?

- Were many of you tested for Wilson's Disease?

- Have any of you been asked to move your tongue from side to side as fast as possible in a neurological examination? This was new to me and I've never had it done as a PD test. Anyone know why this test is done?

-How many of your neurologists are open to you using herbal supplements?

-Is it the norm for neuros to be reluctant toward prescribing off-label drugs that may be therapeutic in PD?

Laura

Thanks to Greg W. for one of his brilliant PD bon mots "chemical camouflage". He's also responsible for the beaut "clognition".
daffodil is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote