View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 03:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
That is one great footie dootie you've got there! LOL

I have socks like that too, only they are not red.

The scale of that garden is enormous. I am very impressed with you. Especially all that canning and putting up of your harvest!

Where we vacation in summer, the locals put up wire fences around their gardens.

We have on the shore, crickets, grasshoppers, slugs, voles, rabbits, and the pesky DEER. Not much is left for us...we are lucky if we have 1/2 of the flowers survive. I put out a natural biological thing from a University that prevents the grasshoppers from reproducing, so that did help some. It took 3 full years to show improvement. The grasshoppers could eat a whole flat of seedlings in one day before. My son and I used to follow them around with a fly swatter and rock. I'd stun them and then bean them with the rock.

Next year I am going to do some herbs. The deer won't bother chives or catnip (which I have so far). I am going to add others to see if that helps some.

I love seeing other peoples' gardens. Thanks for putting up those photos.

They are inspirational. (except for the 'kraut! )

Hubby loves the kraut and pickled stuff. I worry he eats and overindulges when I'm not around.

I did discover from last year that Sea Salt works well with tomatoes. So that's a trade he likes.

I want to try sea salt for pickling but he wouldn't let me take that chance of losing a batch of pickles or a jar of kraut. He loves that stuff.

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote