View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks mrsD! To answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
If you have had some borderline sugars...you could have pre-diabetic neuropathy. Doctors just don't understand this.
OK, I went back to look at some blood work I had in July, before I went to the neuro. (haven’t gotten the first neuro report back yet) but the fasting glucose this time was 93, so that’s within the normal range, isn’t it? I recall having gotten one or two around 120 in the past (which is the high I was refering to before), so I guess it’s at least something I should keep an eye on frequently. And I will ask about the HbA1C. This test was from my PCP, who got me really upset about the PN (for example saying Gabapentin has no effect on PN…say what?!) and other things, so I have since switched to a new PCP. I at least did make sure that the neuro got a copy of this.

Quote:
Some supplements may help you. Have you had B12 and Vit D measured? This should be done ASAP.
Also from this test, the B12 was 886. From what I’ve read in the B12 sticky, that is pretty good, yes? But I’m pretty sure that I had started supplementing before this test, so maybe I was deficient before I started taking the B12.

Quote:
Also do you use statins for cholesterol? Or have you taken antibiotics recently... Flagyl, Cipro or Levaquin? These may cause PN. Yearly flu shots? those may be problematic too.
No statins. Antibiotics—have been taking Doxycycline for rosacea, but began that after the PN started. At any rate, I’ve recently questioned whether taking antibiotics on a prolonged basis is wise anyway. It just seems wrong to me.

Flu shots—I’ve only started getting them recently, but can’t remember if the PN started before or after my first one. I think it was before, but still, maybe they could be exacerbating the PN.

Oh, and the vitamin D—this test says the following:
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy…34
Vitamin D, 25-OH,D3…21
Vitamin D, 25-OH, D2…13
I have no idea what those numbers mean, but I did show a D deficiency about a year before that and was supplementing for that with a prescription that I didn’t refill. Bad girl! But I have been taking OTC D...maybe not enough.

Well, hope we’ll know more when I get the report for the first and second round of blood work from the neuro. I wonder if she saw something in the first one that made her order the second one.
JoanB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote