View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Joanmarie, I'm glad your husband is a bit better and that you took quick action for him. I wish I had a husband whose chest I could beat on!

Did they put him on antibiotics? Did they do a UA to check for an infection? People with kidney stones often have an infection too.

I had kidney stones last November. It is exquisite pain. I was lucky that mine were small enough to pass. My pain subsided within 24 hours.

Make sure that if he has any return in symptoms, that you dial 911 again. What those big ones can do is to block off urine. They can also cause a tear in the ureters (I know, not fun to think about). That can lead to peritonitis, which is life-threatening.

In the meantime, make sure he drinks lots of water. That is actually the "prescription" for kidney stones to make sure they don't return. He also needs a followup with a urologist, in case they didn't mention that. And it couldn't hurt to see his regular doctor too. They will analyze the stone once they get it out to see exactly what kind it is (there are a few kinds). Most are calcium oxalate stones. There are foods that are higher in that and he should try to avoid them.

I never go on Facebook either. Guess I'm a generation too old for that. I'm glad you have so much support. Please don't leave him alone while he still has that stone in him. It tends to be harder on men too when they have a stone, especially one so big as his is. Take care.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote