View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 03:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi everyone,
I haven't been around a lot lately since I have been VERY busy with work (and our computer has been screwy) so I thought it appropriate that I weigh in on these issues in my first post back.

I live in Scotland where you have to complete a Health Check before you are given a job offer. I'm a teacher and a couple years ago I applied for a job at a new school and after a long telephone interview where i explained my situation (moderate MG - controlled by medication, able to function "Normally") I was sent for a further personal interview with a occupational therapost and nurse. I was told it was so they could see how they could support me in school but I felt stigmatised by the whole process. I don't drive (my own choice - not MG) so I had to take 2 buses and a texi to get to the interview, needless to say I was shattered by the time I got there. Thankfully the nurses agreed I could do the job and I was hired. Last year when I moved from primary to highschool I had another phone medical interview and the nurse I spoke to that time knew a lot more about mg and was able to clear me for work over the phone.

I now teach full-time at the high school and manage well. By the time Friday hits I'm pretty tired and it takes most of the weekend to recover, but I manage. I swim with my pupils once a week and regularly have to walk a mile into the town centre with them. I deliver an alternative curriculum so we sometimes play sports too. It's important for me to be upbeat at school so I push myself pretty hard.

I hope you manage to find a work/life balance that works for you and that your employer is supportive.

~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote