View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New here, neurological problems after shingles

My symptoms started about 1 year ago. I began to get a burning and tingling in my feet which started in the evening . Also it kinda feels like I have something under my balls of my feet right behind my toes. My toes also seem to be a little achy. I really didn’t pay much attention to this symptom and kinda related it to my wearing flip flops and doing about 5 miles a day walking (in good running shoes ). Then about 6 months ago I got shingles on my left leg. After a lot of pain and took some type o f anti viral drug prescribed by my dr. it went away. But it did leave me with a numb feeling on my thigh and also a spot on my heal of my left foot. I was ok with that because I heard about residual numbness after shingles. I also must add at this point I have been under a great deal of stress and anxiety during this last year. Then I noticed that my calves started getting these twitches. Next I did what I wish I didn’t but I looked on google and found that twitching is associated with ALS or MS, then I really began a anxiety filled life. Made a Dr. apt with a neurologist who did a EMG test for nerve conductivity and told me that I have no sign of ALS or any other motor problem. But said I have BFS a benign fasciculation syndrome. Search about bfs. You can read about it there. Some very great help for me. The twitches kinda electrify your body and are sometimes in my tongue which is very hard for me to deal with. Also he said I have neuropathy in my feet that kinda makes me feel a little unbalanced at times. I am a 52 year old male 6 ft 210 lbs and have keep myself in good health all my life. I don’t smoke or drink and have always exercised somehow. I take some alpha lip. Acid B6 B12 Cal. Mag. And 1 baby aspirin a day. I am trying to believe my drs and just accept the anxiety bfs diagnosis. That would be ok if that’s what it is but am so scared its something else. The neuro wanted me to start cympalta an ssri drug but I have only taken a little ativan to keep my anxiety down a little. Oh yes also to mention I have a history of a little high ANA count So I went to a rhumy who did a ton of bloodwork and says all I great. If anyone can help me with advise or if you have ever experienced neurological problems after shingles pleas reply. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post.
Doug
dbw52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (10-04-2009), agate (03-25-2020)