View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Thanks, Erin. How long does the battery last?

So it is like a phone, and it just goes to a nearby tower?
Our tower up North is only 2G so far, and maybe it won't work?
My husband's laptop was very slow this summer, for example with his 3G card.

I can see a distinct advantage for heavy big books...which hurt my hands.

I read the 4 huge books in the Song of Fire and Ice Saga...by George R.R. Martin. These were immensely interesting. And they had over 1000 pgs each. A Kindle would have been nice for them. It was quite the addicting series of books...far better than Harry Potter, and more adult IMO. The violence was bad at points, but still it was a neat thing to have for the long cold wet vacation, that the weather dished up for us. The magic was subtle, so it was rather like historical fiction. George Martin is really a good writer... you can imagine it all in your head easily.
I love books like this with easy visualization. This book series will be on HBO as a series starting in 2010. They are casting it now, and all his fans are awaiting book FIVE... its been 4 yrs in the making!
The battery on my Kindle1 seems to last a long time. I probably charge it every couple of weeks, unless I forget and leave the wireless turned on. The wireless is a battery drainer, but as long as you're not downloading something, you dont need it turned on.

I do tend to leave my Kindle turned on a lot, sometimes for a day or two (it goes into a screensaver/power save mode) and not seen the battery life drop much. Not sure if the K2 is like that.

I'm not sure how often my dad charges his Kindle2, probably about every two weeks like I do.

I know I've been able to go longer than 3 weeks without charging my Kindle, but that was during a short time where I wasnt reading much (had double vision at the time).

I looked up that author you mentioned on Amazon. He's got some of his books in Kindle format. I might have to download a sample or two. (I love sampling books on the Kindle!)

The thing I really like about my Kindle, is that I can go to the Gutenburg Project on the internet, (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) find a book there that's no longer in copyright, and copy/paste it into a Word document and then email it to my Kindle (wirelessly, or I can download the document to my computer so I have a copy saved) and then read it on my Kindle. I think if you have it wirelessly sent to your Kindle, there's a fee (looked it up, 15 cents a megabyte...not bad) or you can have the document sent to your email for free, and you just download it onto your computer and use the USB cord to transfer it over.

I mentioned that I read a lot of fanfiction on the internet. (fan fiction is fiction written by fans for the fans of particular tv shows...some of it is total crap, and kind of creepy, and some of it is really good, just as good as commercially bought books...just depends on the author and if you can find someone who's got talent that writes in a fandom you read) I've sent a lot of fanfiction to my Kindle.

I've even sent crochet patterns to my Kindle. I really like all the different ways it can be used.

about the question on whether it's like a phone. It cant be used as a cellphone...but it uses cellphone towers for transmitting the books between Amazon and the Kindle. I know my Kindle (the Kindle 1, which is no longer made, now that they've come out with the Kindle 2 and the Kindle DX) isnt on the 3G network, but all my books that I've gotten have always arrived within a few minutes of ordering. I've ordered a book at the same time my dad has on his Kindle 2, and both our books arrived at about the same time. (yes, I'm geeky enough that I tested it)

I think, that I'll go read my Kindle now...or nap...which ever wins out first.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (10-10-2009)