Thread: Herniated Disc
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDO44 View Post
Help!

I have been suffering for quite some time with low back pain. April/09 I had and MRI wo contrast lumbar.

Results-Interval worsening of the disc herniation at L4-5 posteriorly, centrally, and paracentrally to the right. Mass effect over exiting right L4 nerve root and over traversing right L5- S1 nerve roots. Bilateral spondyloarthritis L4-L5 L5-S1 and L2-L3.

Does anyone know-is this bad? I am very uncomfortable but have opted not to take pain meds with the exception of OTC. I have had several Medrol Dose Packs and have done the series of three epidural pain/steroid injections with no relief.

I see my pcp tomorrow for a referral to a neuro surgeon. Does anyone have any idea of what the next step could possible be? Or possibly what a Neuro may opt to do? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

Hi, and Welcome Hondo44,

Back pain is miserable pain. So sorry you're having to deal with the effects of all these MRI findings.

I'll try to help you understand some of the results. The radiologist is describing in great detail what he has found to be wrong with each physical level of your spine that he needs to report on. Those descriptive terms do have meaning to your doctors.

But the "IMPRESSION" part will tell you more directly what the diagnosis is going to be, thus maybe giving you an idea what direction to try for treatment.

(NOT a doctor)

First, a disc is soft tissue - the cushion between the vertebrae. Your vertebrae are bones/hard tissue. Your spine can articulate/move because of the way these bones and cushions are designed.

a "disc bulge" would be like a knot on a tire. (Certainly painful but not usually a surgical condition)

a "disc herniation" would be like a jelly doughnut with the inner jelly protruding out the doughnut ring, on a microscopic basis. (Often can be a surgical condition - may need more like a repair of this outer ring, so to say)

"Interval worsening of the disc herniation at L4-5 posteriorly, centrally, and paracentrally to the right."

I think the radiologist is describing just ONE "cushion" or "disc" that is between your L4 and your L5 vertebrae. This disc is herniated at the backside of this disc "posteriorly," AND in the middle "centrally," AND from the middle going around to the right side of this disc "paracentrally." So this disc is pretty involved with the degree of "opening" or "tear" or "rent" or "herniation." Just different words to describe "herniation." I hope that didn't confuse you.

"Mass effect over exiting right L4 nerve root and over traversing right L5- S1 nerve roots."

Well, I would think all the gelatenous material extruding out of the disc is "massing over" the outlets for the nerve roots. I would think that would cause a very painful condition. Probably very fixable. They are newer techniques in surgeries and options that maybe could like seal the tear, but then what to do with the "mass" extruded material, if that's confirmed what it is.

"Bilateral spondyloarthritis L4-L5 L5-S1 and L2-L3."

Sounds like ole arthur's got ya. anti-inflammatories may help that/ Arthritis Tylenol, heating pad for comfort. heat causes swelling on a microscopic basis. swelling causes pain.

Of course, age, past injuries, smoking and drinking, genetics, work history, diet can predispose us to some things and would have a bearing on our health.

Here's some links to get you started.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...ndyloarthritis

Back Pain forum:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum22.html

You may get by with some PT, home exercises and Lidoderm 5% patches, or the newer Flector patches (both nonnarcotic).

If you're in a lot of pain, you need to break the pain cycle. I didn't like have to concede to a mild narcotic, Darvon 65, but it helped me a lot.

Sometimes if it's a surgical condition, surgery is the only way. Do your research on the doctor, follow-up care and pray. Most are benefited by surgery.

Ask us any questions you want. We're here to try to help you understand.

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HONDO44 (10-09-2009), tamiloo (10-09-2009)