View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Yes, you guys are correct. Have you heard of botulism toxin (BT)? Nasty little bacteria. It can bring on MG, bacteria-induced MG. It's much more complicated than that but you get the idea.

What BT does is to interfere with your ability to produce acetylcholine. So, yes, it can make MG worse. What Botox does is to basically "paralyze" the muscles so they won't work or cause wrinkles. Flaccid muscles don't wrinkle! Botox is NOT botulism toxin but it is derived from that. The makers of it swear that there is no live BT in there. There have been cases where the person getting it did get the infection.

Juanitad, I do understand that an overactive bladder is an awful thing to live with. The irony is that it may be MG causing it to be overactive. If you do Botox, what if it gets even worse? Have they fully looked at your lower back to make sure the problem isn't coming from there? It sounds like they have zeroed in on structural problems with the bladder itself.

Also, overactive bladder can be misdiagnosed or rather caused by some other condition (like MG). Just make sure they are clear on the cause before they go and try to "solve" the problem.

So, Botox not only "slows" down the muscles but stops them altogether. Very dangerous for people with MG. I think you may need to educate this doctor on that! Not all doctors understand MG or the drugs that can make it worse.

I hope you can come up with a solution that helps. Maybe get a 2nd opinion or two.

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 10-09-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Not clear enough.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote