View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMM View Post
After a lot of frantic search I am happy to report that though Amantadine appeared on the list of anticholinergic drugs I found yesterday, I have found more research results that claim Amantadine is neuroprotective. Now I have hope again.
Is it or is it not?
bad or good?
In the quest for better treatments and just to simply feel better, it seems like we run across so very much contradictory research. I would say check with your neurologist-take in the citation from the Norwegian study and he or she will look into it for you. Keep in mind, we only see part of the picture as we're usually given abstract access only. Without the full study, it's hard to extrapolate this research study. It seems a rather small sample and it is only ONE study. Also, what were the ages of those in the study group. Did it primarily affect people with older onset PD or young too? What were the rates of decline in both age groups (if both were even measured)- is there any statistical validity to it? Lots of questions to ask before you get super upset. I know it is incredibly frustrating; I was thinking of trying Amantadine as part of new treatment regimen but am also now fearful. Keep in mind that much of neurology thought that levodopa was toxic to us in the sense that it fostered cell death. It has been proven that this is not the case.

Hang in there!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (10-10-2009)