View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Heyyyy!

Hi Kate, Erin, Pat, Sue, Melanie and Everyone!!!

Thanks so much for all the love and encouragement and prayers. The prayers worked! At least they seem to be working now... Lol...

Just came back from the hospital, stayed the whole day there as dad's conditon was a little unstable. So kept watch by his bedside.

Things went like a rollercoster since Wednesday. Met my dad's doctors and surgeon, both of which said that despite the teleconference they had on tues evening with other doctors, none could tell what the blockage was. So they had they to rescan him on thurs morning, with some special scans.

They did so, and on Friday, we were told they still couldn't see anything! Lol. It was part of my prayers answered. So the surgery was not critical anymore, and they tried letting him take in liquid foods through the food pipe that was inserted earlier. (funny how u can draw out and put in through the same tube =X) They did bout 5 feeds that day on friday, and we thought all went well as dad still did not vomit.

However, on Sat morning when we called him, he said he vomitted at 11pm after we left. -.- So he was told to be NBM Nil By Mouth again (but actually is nil by tube too). Went to see him on Sat morning (at bout 10+ am) and and around 1pm, he puked again. This time round, the liquids had a foul smelling smell, and was black -.-. We thought it was the herbs he took 2 weeks ago, as it was black, but was later told its blood. So apparently, his intestines arent working well, theres an infection and is bleeding, which should be the reason why everythings accumulating in the stomach. The doc admitted that there may still be a slim chance that all the scans missed the blockage (u know machines always have this 0.01 chance at least of missing someting), but for now it should be that his intestines or guts are not moving to digest the food. =/

So I got the doctor to put him on suction again (to suck out everything in his tummy as vomitting aggravates the holes in his oesophaegus and also his condition), and they sucked out approx 200ml of black gooey liquid. Theres more though, and suction is gonna be ongoing.

Initially we thought he could be discharged on Sun or Mon, but now it seems until they solve the mystery of undigested food, hes going to be in hospital for weeks. Doc did mention that if nothing works, they're gonna to have to operate and see what exactly is happenin in there. I really hope that doesnt happen though.

My emg on the other hand, turned out pretty controversial. Lots of polyfasics, lots of giant motor units, and some other terms which I forgot. The new neuro said it shdnt be ALS or MND, but the other neuro insisted its MND, PLS at least. The former said I need to learn to relax my muscles, which probably caused my hyperreflexes and also my giant motor units and spasticity. I then asked how do I relax muscles? He said.. ooh. Relax ur mind. I simply ignored him. I didn't know that one can change emg results by being erm.. not relaxed? So I left it up to them to fight it out and let me know. I simply cant be bothered at this point. All I know is that theres something seriously wrong. Locally, one orthopaedic consultant, one neurosurgeon/neurologist has confirmed that its MND, but one neurologists says its not MND, just stiff muscles caused by my MIND. Overseas, I have two neurologists confirming that its MND. Sigh. Why do they study the same thing neurology, but come up with different diagnosis!!!! It confuses the patient. Anyway I cant be bothered, so shall stick to my orginial neuro and listen to what he says after he finishes arguing with the new neuro. Lol...

I'm glad I got the strength to pull through, thanks to your prayers and God. I got thru without losing my sanity. Lol. Had few headaches this week, cramps, aches, but other than that, I'm happy to announce, I am still SANE!!!

Dad's doctor requested to see the whole family at 830am on Monday morning, I don't know what kind of news she's gonna break to us now. -.o all these doctors requesting to meet us makes me feel uneasy...

I miss all of u. Sorry I cant keep up with the posts. Spending ev day in hospital nowwww. But mail me individually if u have something u want me to seee ok!!!!

Last edited by ConnieS; 10-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
ConnieS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote