View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
it take me FOREVER to shop! I read labels to make sure its made here, or as local as possible. No HFCS, no MSG, and I try to watch how many salt type products are in there. I make as many things as possible home made, but winter is tough, and we have to rely on some back up stuff. I have a full freezer, and have canned and canned and canned. I use Wellness cat/dog food. its quite pricey, but is organic/human quality, and its the only product they make. Science diet is lumped in with friskies, and purina stuff. Remember the pet food recall? I was shocked to learn how many science diet products and Iams products were on that list. I switched completely to Wellness foods.

Yep, take a book I tell my DH, we are going shopping. I have a spare pair of glasses, and a magnifying glass as well. Some of that print is awful small. I have a bar code thing I will forward you. you can tell by that UPC code where stuff is made at a glance.

The pet food recall was what really opened my eyes to how much food was made elsewhere.

My dogs used to eat another brand that was not involved in the recall - thank goodness! - but some of their treats were from China. Our new older dog can only eay Purina though.

I found a dog toy that benefits ASPCA (has a ribbon stitched on) made in USA - $4. They love that.

I thought manufacturers had to state where things were made - not food? But it is not on all labels.

Hockey -

I did find a few things - toys - made in USA last year at Christmas, but yikes what a hunt. Even my dollar store had a few, surprise! I also crocheted wraps for the women's gifts (yarn made in USA) and that was a huge hit.

Cannot find any holiday decorations or home decor made here or Canada - we'll need to make our own, huh?

The price thing is really untrue. Candy costs the same from here or anywhere. I bought pasta, made in USA 50 cents cheaper than made elsewhere. Lightbulbs, cheaper. Spiral notebooks and other paper stuff, cheap as or cheaper. Lots of things cheaper. Other things I'll pay more if I can find it, if I can't find it I ask can I live without it? And often you can.

As for food, it's not about the economy or slave workers - it's about safety. I don't feel safe eating things from places that continue to put lead in everything they ship to us.

Canada is fine, but some countries don't seem to know how to make decent food products.
AZjanie (10-10-2009), gonnamakeit (10-10-2009), Hockey (10-10-2009)