View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Here's what's interesting to me

The GAD gene trial published a paper, if I remember correctly, which detailed how brain scans showed that when they restored GABA to the subthalamic nucleus, over time the scans showed brain function returning to a more normal state. Since GAD gene therapy is putatively a symptomatic treatment and does nothing directly to the dopamine neurons, one has to wonder if there is some underlying disease modifying effect that is exerted by the action of inhibiting the pathological excitation in the STN. A chicken and egg question, but another piece of evidence that the ultimate answers do not lie solely with restoring dopaminergic neurons.

Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Just floating a trial balloon for consideration.
We are so dopamine-centered that we tend to forget the other neurotransmitters. Suppose for a moment that when you are going "off" that it is only partly due to low dopamine and that part of the problem is that something you ate is acting as a temporary road block of some sort. Let's call this nefarious substance "X" for now.

"X" is capable of completely blocking the action of ldopa for four hours or so. Then it relinquishes its hold and the missing meds reappear and kick in. They haven't been destroyed or even much reduced, just delayed.

"X" is able to kill neurons over time by means of excitotoxicity. That would account for a part of progression.

Certain drugs are capable of beating "X" at its own game and either halting progression or even completely relieving symptoms temporarily.

Dopamine and "X" are diametrically opposed (i.e. inhibitory and excitatory) and perhaps get in each ther's way at times.

"X" is common in the food supply and exposure is universal but sensitivity varies.

"X" is glutamate as in MSG. When I accidentally eat it I am frozen for four hours then suddenly released. Glutamate acts on NMDA receptors. Ecstacy does too and relieves PD for awhile. Dextromethorphan acts on them as well. Gluten (a protein) is high in glutamate and can cause neuro problems.

Are thesejust disjointed facts or can we weave them into something?
caldeerster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote