View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

TOS---

When to call 911 varies from person to person and the TYPE of seizure the person is having.

You also have to factor in if the person is hurt, pregnant, has another seizure shortly after, etc.

IF in doubt, always err on the safe side and call 911 or go to the ER.

Having said that, over time you will learn what is "normal" for you in terms of length of seizures, severity, etc. It is not uncommon for my simple partial and complex partial seizures to last much longer than 15 minutes. However, in my case, this is not an emergency. But for some people, it definitely is.

Also, there are some medications you can take at home to help stop cluster or status seizures. They are known as Rescue or Emergency medications. I use Ativan as my rescue medication if start to have severe clusters, if my seizures last longer than normal, if have several without much of a break between them, or if they are in any way not my usual. Each doctor will have their own protocols, but its definitely something to ask your doctor about. Common rescue meds are Ativan, Diastat and Klonopin.

The most important thing is to communicate with your neurologist. Make sure he/she knows how long your seizures are lasting. Ask what his/her protocol is about ER's, if you can have a Rescue med, what things you need to watch out for, etc.

Hang in there !

L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote