View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am supposed to go to the ER if they last longer then 15 min and my breathing would get labored. Most of mine last between 5-15 min and my breathing is ok. What worried my mother last night was my breathing was very heavy and fast, so she knew it turned into a status. There estimating i was down there for about an hour. We are goin to tell my neuro i need an emergency med and another med along with my tegretol because obvisly its not controling them on its own. Last night she gave me liquid valium and thats what got me to stop after about 10 min. I just hate not being able to get help when i know they are coming on! And i dont know what else to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2laugh View Post
TOS---

When to call 911 varies from person to person and the TYPE of seizure the person is having.

You also have to factor in if the person is hurt, pregnant, has another seizure shortly after, etc.

IF in doubt, always err on the safe side and call 911 or go to the ER.

Having said that, over time you will learn what is "normal" for you in terms of length of seizures, severity, etc. It is not uncommon for my simple partial and complex partial seizures to last much longer than 15 minutes. However, in my case, this is not an emergency. But for some people, it definitely is.

Also, there are some medications you can take at home to help stop cluster or status seizures. They are known as Rescue or Emergency medications. I use Ativan as my rescue medication if start to have severe clusters, if my seizures last longer than normal, if have several without much of a break between them, or if they are in any way not my usual. Each doctor will have their own protocols, but its definitely something to ask your doctor about. Common rescue meds are Ativan, Diastat and Klonopin.

The most important thing is to communicate with your neurologist. Make sure he/she knows how long your seizures are lasting. Ask what his/her protocol is about ER's, if you can have a Rescue med, what things you need to watch out for, etc.

Hang in there !

L2L
tos8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote