View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hardtimes,

You do not mention where you live, what state, etc. There are resources available that depend on your location. What kind of diagnostics have you had? Have you had a CT scan since your original hospital x-ray? A concussion can show negative on an immediate x-ray but show up with problems hours to days later.

Also, help us out by using paragraph spacing. Many of us have very difficult times following from line to line. It took me forever to read your post. The best is a line space after four lines of comments.

As others have said, family practice and other Primary care Physicians are useless with concussion. Even neurologists are prone to misunderstand concussion.

Check with your local/state Brain Injury Association for a referral to a good concussion doctor.

Put the skateboard away. Hang it on the wall as a momento or such. You brain will not tolerate another bump. Even the best helmets will not protect a brain that has been previously concussed. Second impact syndrome is brutal and can last a lifetime. I am proof of that.

Let us know what's up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hi,
First time ever writing. Two months ago got a nasty concussion. Head slammed on concreate for the first time ever in 15 years riding a piece of wood with four wheels. Discombobulated rolled around in a daze and later went to hospital for x-ray. Felt fine for that night and x-ray and cat scan were straight. Took a day off work and went into work on tuesday this happened on a sunday. Over the next couple of days I started getting foggy anxiety, nauscious, disllusion, confusion and slurring my speech . I was even having hallucinations about a week after. I was so messed up and dont know if it was the contusion stress or concussion. Its like it took me forever to recognize what I was looking at and I was in a terrible fuzzy nightmare. I was scared to talk to people and didnt even know I was slurring my speech. I had to take a week in a half off work. My boss told me I was fine and her problems are much worse and like everyone else at the job tried to make me feel like a wimp and idiot. These guys don't know the bones Ive broken and stuff ive been through, why would I lie about my damn brain hurting. I wouldnt wish this on anyone. Ive been with the company over four years but switched location of where I work and got a concussion two weeks after I started on the new contract at the new sight. Being able to perform my job and get thru these last two months was by the grace of god anybody else on the planet would of thru in the towll it was insane. This started on the wednesday following my injury. I should of never went back to work, but im a dad and me my pheonsei and kid are paycheck to paycheck as it is shes in shchool to be a nurse and he's four. I am now two months post concussion and things have been rocky but about after the three week point I have been noticing slight improvemment everyday. I have this one symptom though thats like a tingling numbness in my face that radiates all around, and some occasional headaches. I am trying to take it easy and havnt been skating or exercising since everyone insists Im doing fine and all the right things but it's been such a war. I just need money or time to be able to lay up and heal but I cant get that. You guys are so lucky that dont have to think or work or earn I feel like if I just layed up I would have been fine by now. The hardest part with any injury is how fast the world seems to move along without you. But one thing I did notice on the bright side is the will and drive to live. I will never ever take this life for granted I have been writing down everything that pops into my head and am writing a book about my life. I will come back and beat this and help heal all of you. You really value life and understand what matters when your on the verge of losing everything and Ive been dangling off that cliff and gottta get back. Im lost at times and found at times. Confusion has its cost helplessly hoping this will strengthing me along lifes beutiful struggle

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussionkate (10-12-2009), Hockey (10-11-2009)