View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi hun, first your pcp making that statement is totally off base. Report him to the medical association in your state!! IMMEDIATELY!! And get someone who is compassionate and caring or can at least pretend to be when you are there. sigh. These are the knuckle heads who give docs a bad rap!! SIGH!! Understand that he is not the norm!! Most of us have great caring docs. My doc gives me a hug every visit. When something comes up, he says, we'll work thru this together. I am here with ya!!
Let me tell you what I know about lap bands from a semi personal list of experiences. My mother in law was toying with lap band surgery as she has battled her wt all her life. Up to high, looses it (usually some drastic diet) gained it all back and then some. Well she had her lap band done. First issue for some reason she can't loose anymore wt. Hasnt in 4 months. HMMMMMM. The second issue, she has been seen to be eating what she wants then going outside to toss her cookies, and comes back sits down and eats more. Can you say bulemic??
Ok now she has a male friend, short heavy set man. He has been his current weight for at least the 23 years I have known him. He decided that if she could do it he would too. He hates his. He is not losing wt. Can't enjoy his food at all. REgrets ever having gone thru it all.
Another friend of hers, another overwt person, woman this time. She to is failing to see big results and the constant stress of what to eat when and all the other medication/vitamin issues has caused her to also regret the decision.
NOTE: all of these folks aside from the obesity are healthy. No other medical issues exist for them.
And I too must agree with the other poster, if THE docs who do this to make a living are not comfy with doing it------------that is a pretty good indicator that it shouldn't be done. You are going to be able to find someone who will do it make no mistake. BUT you have a very loud and bright red flag already on the field here with the first doc wanting to run the other way.
I know it is not easy to make these choices. It never is. The best we can do is to listen to the opinions/advice out there. Get all the facts.....listen to your gut talk to ALL your docs and then make a choice.
Exercise for MGers can be difficult. And with one dx that exercise helps and one it will worsen for some it can be daunting. But know what..........there are ways around it. Take a step backwards. Start out with some chair exercises programs. I have a few that are just that. And listen to your body!! IF it says time out, then time out it is. You can split it up over the day. You may even consider seeing a physiatrist (doctor of physical therapy) he/she can help you set up a program that works for the MG and the other issues. And you progress in PT with increased reps so as you get stronger do more, weaker days do less. Not to say be a whimp, we have to push......but only to a point otherwise we get waylayed by the mg and can't do anything for days/weeks.
hugs

HUGS

Last edited by justdeb; 10-11-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: address exercise.
justdeb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote