View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies. My blood was drawn for a second time after the hospital messed it up last time and didn't send serum to the Prometheus lab. I expect results back in a week or two and will post the findings.

I'm more and more convinced that my neuropathy and occasional migraines are caused by the gluten. My gastroenterologist is basically clueless and wrote me off after the endoscopy came back negative for celiac (even though my blood test showed high levels of anti-gliadin antibodies).

I've been on a GF diet for about 4 months now and the neuropathy has diminished a great deal, although there is still a faint trace. I'm taking about 3000 mcg of B12 daily plus my other vitamins.

The side benefit of all of this is that I went to an allergist and found out that I've been "allergic to the outside" for most of my life without knowing it. I was given some allergy medication and am now getting allergy shots. Low and behold my head clears up so the headaches and sinus pressure may have been due to common allergies!

Nevertheless, the whole experience with the U.S. health care system has left me bitterly disappointed. I never really had to use it until now and I'm shocked just how poorly it serves for diagnosis and treatment. I consider myself almost self diagnosed even after paying a lot of money for many different tests. I'm grateful that I'm feeling better and hoping that it's as simple (although hard!) as controlling my diet. Also, thank goodness for forums such as these which have served as virtual care centers.

I must say though that after going GF, I lost about 10-15 pounds just eating better so that's also a good thing. It's amazing how much trash we put into our bodies without knowing it.

Thanks again.
neurocitizen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote