View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Kater, I agree with everyone else on what this man said. EVERYONE, no matter what stage of life they are in, deserves to have the very best health care. And no one, especially not a doctor, has the right to decide if your life has quality or not. I also agree that this is malpractice.

Before you exercise with MG, you have to be stable. This is what every MG expert I have had or heard speak has said. Then it's like what Deb said, little bits at a time. Working up to what you can handle.

I use one of those rubber band things, sit on the edge of my bed and do arm exercises. I do arm exercises about 6 - 10 at a time, three times. I do not do those three times in a row. I alternate types of muscle groups so that they all have a chance to rest. There's no rush in doing them!!! You can do them slower than you may be used to. And I try to do this a couple times a day, depending on how I'm doing.

I also "suck in" my tummy, which a physical therapist showed me how to do correctly. It has slower progress but it is progress. I can see the difference. There's also a butt "squeezing" exercise you can do while sitting down.

It might be worthwhile, like these guys said, to not only see a nutritionist but to see a physical therapist too. That way, you have people helping you out, supporting you in making goals without putting yourself into a crisis.

Having a fan blowing on you while you do anything will help keep you cooled off too, since heat is bad for MG. And maybe try to do things earlier in the day when you have more energy.

Since you may have lupus too, you have to be doubly careful about doing too much. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids too. You may want to contact your local lupus foundation to ask if they know of a rheumatologist who isn't such an incredible jerk.

There are ways to lose weight on Pred. Cutting carbs really works. Eating more nuts/seeds. Eating whole foods. Smaller meals, etc.

The lap band certainly does not come without problems. And I doubt it will really do anything to help you in the long run. Just eat smaller portions - that's about what that amounts to anyway.

I hope you can figure out something that works for you. It's not easy exercising with MG. And inflammation tends to kick up after exercising too so make sure you cool down. Best of luck.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote