View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My h usband retired early due to disability so I think I can comment.

For us, the beginning was fine then the novelty of having each other around wore off - and quickly in my opinion. I could no longer vacuum correctly, cook my specialties right (thanks to his mother and FoodNetwork shows!), shop for groceries properly (huh?), etc etc etc.

I bit**d, whined, complained and turned a deaf ear as long as I could. Finally I was vacuuming (making the wrong pattern of stripes!!!) so I yanked out the cord and marched off down the street. That worked for a week or so.

While cooking Thankgiving dinner for 20 he kept hovering over me telling me that is not the way so and so says to do it, you are doing it wrong, etc. Picture the turkey pulled out, mid basting, stove top a bubbling, etc. I am talking right smack in the midst of that crazy period we all get into to where everything needs doing all at the same time... I told him "Since you can do it sooo much better, please be my guest" I then marched into the living room, whipped out the newspaper, turned on the TV and sat on my royal bum till he dinner was brought to the table. I njoyed y time with company chatting away. All the older wives would not let me move an inch saying "All husbands have to learn sometime!"

We now just do what needs to be done, avoiding either of us thinking one is the boss over the other. For us (most of the time) life is good. We just needed to learn how to live 24/7 with each other. I think we have become even closer after 20 years of marriage and 10+ in retirement.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
jprinz99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (10-12-2009), braingonebad (10-14-2009), ewizabeth (10-12-2009), SallyC (10-12-2009)