View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default You may have to try a few different things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT69 View Post
My husband has severe neuropathy...we are getting desperate..He is to the point where the meds hes on, gabapentin isnt working and is having to over medicate himself on it..1800mg is what he takes..and it wipes him out and is not able to live a normal life because of it...Does anyone have any kind of suggestion..anything at the point would be appreciated..His care is under VA hospital...and they just seem to want to figure this out...We are at a loss..and i feel for him..

Reaction to gabapentin varies by person. And it certainly can take a bit to adjust to it. I started at 900 mg/day and slowly worked up to the 2400 mg/day I'm taking today. Even at 2400 mg/day, it doesn't take away the pain and burning completely, but it's dulls it enough to get through the day and, for periods of time, make me forget about it.

But, as another person said, there's a number of different drugs -- often used in combination -- that can be used to help with PN. You may have to try a few different ones to find what works for you.

Best of luck. I wish the best to all my fellow PN travelers.
EHorst99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote