View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default We know what you're going through....

Hi Kate --

I read your email and it sounded a lot like me...my two children were 5 and 7 when I had my head injury two years back, and it was a challenge to manage (I was just so grateful they were not infants/toddlers, as I know that would have been next to impossible). I, too, have a wonderful and supportive spouse, but that does not make up for how miserable this is and how you want to get back to your old self. You are not going crazy!

It sounds like your Neurologist is a least trying a few treatment options. I am on a small dose of Nortriptyline (10mgs), and was symptom free for almost a year. This is a venerable old drug and has few side effects.

Also, I know the feeling of gaining weight during this time...working out became a real struggle, and making and preparing food was really hard with the constant nausea. We are pretty healthy eaters on the whole, but things really started to slip with the nausea (....hard to look at a raw piece of salmon). I found myself getting pizza (for the kids but then I would succomb) more often than usual. But, really do try to stay on board with good eating and just a little exercise. Walking is good, as is very gentle yoga. You need this. Brown rice and whole grain breads...you know the drill, I'm sure.

This is hard for the kids, but also think of it as a different way of parenting, not a "bad" way of parenting. I will confess that I had to simply sit with my kids on the couch some days and watch a movie or TV -- they got hooked on Antiques Roadshow with me and it was quite fun. I am always on the run, and if this experience taught me anything, it was that it's okay to slow down and that I am greatly loved for just being with them.

Hang in there during this time. We all know how hard and lonely this is. We are thinking of you and hoping you find an answer soon.
goodscout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (10-13-2009)